Are you afraid of heart diseases? Want to prevent an unhealthy heart? Then cholesterol is what you need to control first. For this, you must give up the consumption of food items that are rich in fats. There are several medicines for maintaining your high cholesterol level, but it’s not essential to eat those medicines, only to help bring back healthy cholesterol levels. There are other simpler and less expensive changes that you can make, such as eating a healthy, balanced diet and being more physically active.
Several medicines help to maintain high cholesterol level; however, it is possible to have healthy cholesterol levels with having these prescription medications. There are other simpler and less expensive ways through which you can maintain your cholesterol levels. These include eating a healthy, balanced diet and being more physically active.
Here are five tips for a cholesterol-friendly diet that you must follow to maintain normal cholesterol levels.
- Say “No” to saturated fats: Never include saturated fats in your diet, as they can increase your LDL (unhealthy cholesterol level) and lower your HDL (healthy cholesterol level), which is not good for your heart. Consuming unsaturated fats found in fish and vegetable oils is necessary. They are good for the heart and help in maintaining normal cholesterol levels.
- Eat fiber-rich food: Soluble fiber can help in lowering your LDL cholesterol and letting you attain normal cholesterol levels. So eat more fruits, fiber-rich foods, oatmeal, beans, and peas.
- Have spinach: Spinach contains lutein, which prevents your artery walls from clogging. If your artery walls get clogged, it can lead to major health problems.
- Include fish in your diet: Add fish to your diet plan for at least two to four times a week. It contains omega-3 fats, which are good for your heart. They can easily lower your cholesterol level. Bluefin tuna, sardines, and wild salmon should be part of your diet as they are rich in omega-3 fats.
- Opt for olive oil: Olive oil can bring back your cholesterol to normal cholesterol levels. It can reduce your cholesterol level by 10-15%.