There are many times when you might want to store your leftover food. Moreover, there are times when you have to store seasonal essentials in your freezer so that you can enjoy them throughout the year. Well, if you wish to keep your food fresh for a longer time, then you need to check out the variety of freezers. They are perfect for storing the frozen food and are also good to keep the food fresher over a longer period.
Upright vs. Chest Freezers
With a wide variety of chest freezers and upright freezers to choose from, it is not easy to decide which one to select for your house. The choice of the freezer would ultimately depend on your lifestyle and your requirements. While some people like to store the regular frozen food in the upright model, they like to store the seasonal things and special baked food in the chest freezers. That is because the chest models are more efficient and remain cool for a longer time.
Whatever be your requirement, you need to get a proper freezer, which will meet your needs. So, analyze and check the various models before you decide. After making the purchase, you need to know how to store the food so that the food remains fresh.
Key points to consider while storing food in freezers:
- Handle the food safely by separating raw meat and poultry from other food items, so that the contamination can be avoided.
- Keep the freezer temperature at 0°F or below.
- Freeze the perishable food within two hours, and finish them before four days.
- Use air-tight and shallow glass storage containers. They can be easily microwaved and are eco-friendly.
- Fruits such as bananas, avocados, peaches, plums, pears, and tomatoes should not be refrigerated as they release gas, and can spoil the other fruits or vegetables stored with them.
- You can use freezer wraps or Ziploc-sealed bags to wrap the meat and other things while freezing in chest freezers. These help in preserving food items for a longer time and the food remains fresh.Both the chest freezers and upright models have their own merits and demerits, but both meet the end objective of keeping the food fresh.