Sweating, also known as perspiration is a natural biological process that involves the release of fluids or secretions from the various sweat glands within our body. It is the response of the body when body temperature rises. Sweating is nothing but the release of body heat in the form of fluids from the skin.
Sweating can also be described as a method of excretion of certain waste products from the body. Sweating can occur due to many reasons. Sweating often gives off foul odors from the body, which can be easily masked with the help of deodorants and antiperspirants.
There are several causes, which lead to sweating. Some of the main causes of excessive sweating are mentioned below.
- Fever or infection: This may be one of the causes of excessive sweating. When a person suffers from viral fever or other infectious diseases such as tuberculosis or typhoid, the person is likely to sweat profusely. This happens when the body temperature after rising to a great extent drops suddenly, thereby releasing body heat.
- Genetics: Due to hereditary reasons, a person can possess much more than the normal number of sweat glands in the body. Hence the amount of sweat released by the body can be in excess. Thus, genetic inheritance is another cause of excessive sweating.
- Hormonal problems: Hyperthyroidism causes excessive production of some thyroid hormones. This medical condition speeds up some chemical processes in the body, and thus this can be considered as one of the main causes of excessive sweating. Low or no insulin production causes diabetes. The disease can also lead to excessive sweating.
- Menopause: Menopause can be another reason for excessive sweating. Night sweats and hot flashes are common symptoms of menopause. These can cause excessive sweating, and it mostly occurs due to declining levels of estrogen in the body.
- Stress: Extreme stress and anxiety can raise the body temperature and thus can be a cause of excessive sweating.
If you suffer from excessive sweating and body odor, you can see a doctor for proper treatment of the cause of your problem.